Pro. Jikui Song Visited Our Lab
In this Thursday, Professor Jikui Song visited USTC and he gave a seminar entitled with " Mechanistic Basis of mammalian DNA methylation” in School of Life Sciences. Pro. Jin invited him, and many professors including Prof. Yong Ding, Prof. Chao Wang, Prof. Linfeng Sun, Prof. Songhong Guang and Prof. Xiangting Wang attended this seminar and discussed with him.
After Pro. Jin introduced him, Prof. Song made his presentation.
Mammalian DNA methylation is an important epigenetic mechanism crucial for gene silencing and imprinting, X-inactivation, genome stability, and cell fate determination. Establishment and maintenance of DNA methylation patterns are achieved by two groups of DNA methyltransferases (DNMTs): DNMT3A and DNMT3B, which are responsible for establishing DNA methylation de novo, and DNMT1, which propagates DNA methylation patterns from one cell generation to the next. Deregulation of this process is implicated in various diseases, notably cancer. However, the mechanisms underlying the functional regulation of DNMTs remain elusive. Through a structural biology approach, combined with enzymatic and cellular analyses, we aim to illustrate the regulatory mechanism of DNMT1-mediated maintenance DNA methylation, the structural basis of DNMT3A/B-mediated de novo DNA methylation, and the etiologic role of DNMT mutations in human diseases. Mechanistic investigation of these issues promises to provide a comprehensive view of mammalian DNA methylation.
1. Zhang ZM, Lu R, Wang P, Yu Y, Chen D, Gao L, Liu S, Ji D, Rothbart SB, Wang Y, Wang GG # , Song J #. Structural basis for DNMT3A-mediated de novo DNA methylation. Nature.2018; 554: 387-391.
2. Gao L, Tan XF, Zhang S, Wu T, Zhang ZM, Ai HW, Song J #. An Intramolecular Interaction of UHRF1 Reveals Dual Control for Its Histone Association. Structure. 2018; 26: 304-311.
3. Zhang, Z., Ma, K., Gao, L., Hu, Z., Schwizer, S., Ma, W. # , Song, J #. Mechanism of host substrate acetylation by a YopJ family effector. Nature Plants. 2017 3:17115.
4. Wang B, Tan XF, Thurmond S, Zhang ZM, Lin A, Hai R # , Song J #. The structure of Zika virus NS5 reveals a conserved domain conformation. Nature Communications. 2017; 8:14763.
5. Zhang ZM, Ma KW, Yuan S, Luo Y, Jiang S, Hawara E, Pan S, Ma W # , Song J #. Structure of a pathogen effector reveals enzymatic mechanism of a novel acetyltransferase family. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology. 2016; 23:847-852.
6. Harter MR, Liu CD, Shen CL, Gonzalez-Hurtado E, Zhang ZM, Xu M, Martinez E, Peng CW # , Song J #. BS69/ZMYND11 C-Terminal Domains Bind and Inhibit EBNA2. PLoS pathogens. 2016; 12(2):e1005414.